mandag den 9. august 2010

Beer tasting : Blue Mountain Stout - Gourmet Bryggeriet

I bought this coffee stout from Gourmet Bryggeriet some time ago - it was on sale :-). It was so cheap, that I could not leave it on the shelf. It has now been sitting in my basement some time, and now it's time to taste it.
It says on the label, that it is brewed with the best coffee in the world - Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee, and bitter chocolate (Belgian Callebaut 70%). I have always thought that Ca Pe Chon was the best coffee in the world, but who knows.... Anyway, what matters now is how this beer tastes.

The style is american stout and this one is 6.5% alcohol.

I poured it in my Maredsous glass which I think is the most suitable for a beer of this style. So, here goes

Blue Mountain Stout
Aroma (6/10)
sweet malts, milk chokolate, toffee, baileys, little banana. There's a little smell of tar, which suits the smell in a nice way. In the end there's a faint darker chokolate smell. Moderate spicyness from the hops.

Appearance (5/5)
Black, clear, large rock hard light brown head. Very good looking.

Taste (8/10)
balanced to the bitter side (this is not sweet), although it's not overly bitter. A bit salty/tar. Long aftertaste of tar, liquorice and coffee. Next sip is much more plaesant than the previous. It's like, the first sip was a bit thin. Then you get used to that and discover more flavours. Then the next, you discover more, and so on. Alcohol not present. Long aftertaste,

Palate (4/5)
Medium body, a bit thin. Low carbonation. Very soft and round although not silky - just round. Long finish.

Overall (14/20)
This is well brewed and you can continue to discover new flavours in this complex beer as you drink it. Gets better sip after sip.
Would I like another one? Yes!

Total score 3.7 of 5


Blue Mountain Stout great head

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar