mandag den 16. august 2010

Homebrew tasting : Fresh "Strong Birthday Blonde"

Tasting homebrew #29 : Strong Birthday Blonde

I've been having a period of brews with an "off" flovour that I don't want. I have sanatised all equipment thoroughly before brewing the "Strong Birthday Blonde" - a belgian blonde of the strong kind. So naturally, I'm very curious to taste this beer that I brewed June 19th, 2010 (the recipe will follow in another post).

I poured this one into my Delirium Tremens tulip shaped glass. 

Here's my tasting notes

Closeup - It's looking great, but...
Aroma (5/10)
Citrussy, tart, malt, spicy. Danm! Something's wrong here....

Appearance (4/5)
Clear and bright, sparkling, nice foam

Taste (4/10)
Complex malts makes sweet, light caramel notes along with an orange taste. There's a little stalenes, horse and hay in the background. Alcohol is present but does not dominate at all. Sweet/bitternes balance good. Little sour lambic qualities. Infection?

Palate (3/5)
Medium body, creamy. Medium carbonation. Fairly long aftertaste aftertaste with bitter orange finish.

Overall (5/20)
Not satisfied. I am disappointed with the smell and taste of the beer. I don't know if it's an infection that causes the slight "stale" or "horseblanket" taste and smell. It's like it's not fresh and crisp.
I wouldn't have another!

Overall score 2.1 out of 5

......I will make another tasting in 3 months. I hope the funny taste will fade during cellaring.

I think I have found the reason for the funny taste, which I'm sure is from a mild infection of some kind. It's the plastic tap, on the bottom of the fermenter. It's a pain to clean since it cannot be disassembled. It's now soaking in a mild bleach solution which should take away any gunk, after a couple of days I will work the tap handle back and forth and let it soak again until all areas of the inside cylinder has been in contact with the solution! After this, rinse thoroughly under hot water, then boiling water. That hopefully should kill all nasties.
I really hope this is the end of the funny taste........

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar